The impact of untreated postnatal anxiety
Seeking help from others is an essential part of recovery and that makes it the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby. You might find that support comes from a variety of places such as family, friends and healthcare professionals; like your health visitor or GP.
If postnatal anxiety is left untreated it can have negative outcomes for you and your family, these include:
- Difficulty carrying out family roles
- Bonding difficulties
- Financial difficulties due to inability to work
- Not looking after yourself
- Future anxiety problems
- Relationship problems
- Sexual dysfunction
It may also have negative consequences for your baby, these include:
- Breastfeeding and/or feeding difficulties
- Increased fussiness and sleep problems (including colic)
- Developmental delays
- Emotional and behavioural problems
Remember: Seeking help is good for both you and your baby.
See the links below for help in taking the first steps in seeking help.